As a Volunteer driver you drive your own vehicle to transport cancer patients to and from various treatment centres. We reimburse your gas at a rate of $.48 per km.
Provide an ICBC driver abstract, proof of a minimum of $3 million 3rd party liability insurance coverage and a clean Criminal Record Check.
For the health and well-being of patients, vehicles must be reliable, clean, smoke-free, scent-free and in good repair.
Thank you for your interest in the Volunteer Cancer Drivers Society. To qualify as a volunteer driver please ensure you meet our requirements:
Drivers must have the following skills and qualifications:
- Be 21 years of age with a minimum of 5 years driving experience
- Have a good driving record, maximum 3 demerit points from ICBC
- Hold a valid driver’s license, and a minimum of 3 million third party liability insurance
- Submit to a Criminal Record Check.
- Commit to a minimum of 1 full day or 2 half days per week.
- Own and use a trustworthy vehicle and be responsible for the upkeep and safety of the vehicle.
- Be in good physical and mental health, physically able to assist riders should it be required.
- Refrain from smoking and drive without distractions (cell phone, texting, etc.).
- Consistently drive defensively and obey traffic laws.
- Be familiar with maps or electronic navigation devices.
- Have and be familiar with the use of email and a basic familiarity with computers.
Drivers must possess these personal attributes and qualities:
- Empathy, compassion and a non-judgemental approach with others.
- Supportive listening skills.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Flexibility and adaptability to emergency situations.
- Respect and observe VCDS’s policies, procedures, codes of conduct and ethics.