Volunteers are the most important resource community organizations like the VCDS have. The willingness to work together for the betterment of the community and making a difference in someone's life.
The benefits may include
- Feeling good about helping others which in turn helps the community become a better place to live.
- An opportunity to network by building new friendships and meeting like minded people.
- Learning or improving upon your communication skills.
If you live in Vancouver, Burnaby or Richmond and wish to be a cancer driver, please contact the Freemason’s website for volunteering opportunities, These cities are not within our driving areas. If you live east of Mission and wish to volunteer, we cannot offer you an opportunity to work with us because, as yet, we do not serve this area. Freemason's website
Volunteer With Us
In order to keep this wonderful service on the road we are always on the lookout for dedicated volunteer drivers and dispatchers.
At Volunteer Cancer Drivers Society, we have the pleasure of providing free, dependable and safe rides to people receiving treatment and follow-up care for cancer. Our team of generous volunteers are the driving force to the success of this valuable service.
As a Volunteer driver you drive your own vehicle to transport cancer patients to and from various treatment centres. We reimburse your gas at a rate of $.41 per km.
Full Class 5 license, clean ICBC drivers abstract and $3 million 3rd party liability insurance coverage. For the health and well-being of patients, vehicles must be reliable, clean, smoke free, scent-free and in good repair.
Thank you for your interest in the Volunteer Cancer Drivers Society. To qualify as a volunteer driver please ensure you meet our requirements:
Drivers must have the following skills and qualifications:
- Be between 21 to 78 years of age, with a minimum of 5 years driving experience
- Have a good driving record, maximum 3 demerit points from ICBC
- Hold a valid driver’s license, and a minimum of 3 million third party liability insurance
- Submit to a Criminal Record Check.
- Commit to a minimum of 1 full day or 2 half days per week.
- Own and use a trustworthy vehicle and be responsible for the upkeep and safety of the vehicle.
- Be in good physical and mental health, physically able to assist riders should it be required.
- Refrain from smoking and drive without distractions (cell phone, texting, etc.).
- Consistently drive defensively and obey traffic laws.
- Be familiar with maps or electronic navigation devices.
- Have and be familiar with the use of email and a basic familiarity with computers.
Drivers must possess these personal attributes and qualities:
- Empathy, compassion and a non-judgemental approach with others.
- Supportive listening skills.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Flexibility and adaptability to emergency situations.
- Respect and observe VCDS’s policies, procedures, codes of conduct and ethics.